Pages

5.23.2017

An apartment update of sorts....

So I was all hopeful at first that we'd have a nice looking apartment for me to blog about. The opposite happened. The walls are BABY POOP BROWN. Plus they didn't do a good job. They ran out of paint. So you can see the white underneath the first coat of the brown paint. The kitchen cabinets are in need of being repaired. There's water damage to the bottom ones and the uppers are okay, they're just old. There are brown upper and lower cabinets and those are over 30 years old. I THINK they were first installed somewhere in 1979 and then in the 90s when the apartment was built they were installed here. Then there's a newer white cabinet that is just a lower cabinet. It's okay for the most part. It has tile on top and the side/back of it. There are some loose tiles on the side that could probably be fixed easily enough. The ceiling fans and lights are outdated but work for the most part. We have three windows and they all have blinds but one needs to be replaced because it was damaged by the last tenant but J and I bought and installed two new ones for the other windows. There's 12 feet of sliding glass doors and the tracks need to be cleaned out so that the doors slide again. It has vertical blinds and some of them are broken, yellowed and/or have roach poop on them. Sigh. Let's talk about the roach problem now (quickly and then I'll move on)... When we moved in there were so many roaches in the kitchen and bathroom. We got rid of all of them finally. It still scares me to put stuff in any of the kitchen cabinets. I did finally start using the bathroom medicine cabinets though. Then the roaches came back to the bathroom last week. I've been dealing with that again. UUUUUGGGG. My landlady (S) has pest control coming out tomorrow. I won't be here but J will be so that he can let them into the apartment. So moving on. The bathrooms has some damage in the shower that needs to be repaired plus it needs to be repainted, including the doors. There's a couple renting a bedroom on S's side and the man does handy man type stuff so he's been doing a lot around here and I'm going to have him work on things in my bathroom. I'm going to have him just paint everything white again. The front door needs to be painted but I don't know what color because of the house color. The colors I would want don't go with any of the house colors. 

I really want to make the apartment pretty but I don't even know where to start since it actually needs so much love. I figure I can start with the bathroom. I can probably paint the medicine cabinets myself and change out the light switches/covers and outlet and its cover. Then the guy can do the painting of the walls, ceiling and doors and do the tile work that needs to be done. I want to buy a new light and he can switch it out. Also I'm supposed to have a new faucet installed BUUUUUUUT S's daughter brought over a bathroom sink that S wants to try to install in my bathroom. It's a round copper sink and is really fancy and I have no idea if it would work. It would need some sort of base for it plus we would need to create some sort of countertop with it. If we used it, that would change all of the other updates I would do in there. I like silver as my metal color but I'm not going to mix silver with copper. So we'll see. 

I've got to go work on some more laundry and some other things. Olivia (oh my god, I need to make a post about her!!!) is at the vets today getting spayed and I can pick her up from 330-5 and S is taking me. I'll take some photos of the apartment and post them as before pictures. Maybe, it all looks so bad that I'm not sure if I can handle people seeing the apartment.

No comments: